BASF Technical Specialist, Architectural & Decorative Coatings in Charlotte, North Carolina
At BASF,we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Across the world, more than 10,000 R&D professionals work in different specialties at around 70 research sites. Beyond our own cutting edge facilities and instrumentation, our scientists benefit from cooperative partnerships with more than 600 leading universities, research institutes and other companies. All sharing a common goal: to create chemistry for a sustainable future.
We are seeking a Technical Specialist, Architectural & Decorative Coatings to support the overall success of the Dispersions & Resins business in North America and join our team Charlotte, NC.
The Dispersions & Resins business of BASF develops, produces and markets a range of high-quality resins, additives, colorants and polymer dispersions worldwide. These raw materials are used in formulations for coatings and paints, printing and packaging products, construction chemicals, adhesives, fiberbondings, nonwovens, and paper manufacturing. We are building the best team to support the growth and needs of our customers. With a comprehensive product portfolio and extensive knowledge of the industries we serve, our customers benefit from innovative and sustainable solutions to help them advance their formulations through chemistry.
For more information about the Dispersions & Resins business in North America, go to:http://www.basf.us/dpsolutions
Technical Specialist, Architectural & Decorative Coatings (1604141)
You will bring technical solutions to our customers for all segments served by ED (Architectural, Automotive, Industrial, Printing and Packaging, and Construction) by working in a collaborative manner with other technical specialist colleagues in the industry as well as across the organization. You will perform hands-on laboratory work for technical service projects which includes customer support for the Technical Account Manager.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Utilize in-depth technical know-how on specific product line, test methods for the industry and/or product use in industry specific application in order to sell more of BASF product in industry/sub-segment; supports test method development in conjunction with external test method societies.
- Work as an individual contributor by developing and testing formulated solutions.
- Perform hands-on work in the lab and coaches the pool of Application Laboratory Chemists and Technicians, responsible for demonstrating the value of the product.
- Stay current with trends, development and innovations in focus industry and the relevant product lines, maintain knowledge of customer application testing, and supports business growth through paper presentations at trade shows/conferences, training of direct and indirect customers.
- Provide on-site customer support for Technical Account Manager if in-depth product support is needed.
- Work in compliance with EH&S and ISO standards [minimum expectation].
Design, manage, and execute exterior weathering program
Design projects that will support BASF Latex Dispersions and Additives
- Prepare exposure boards to customer specific test methods
- Work with third party developer to design an app/database to streamline data collection and retrieval.
- Collect and manage all weathering data for easy and meaningful retrieval in the future.
- Prepare exposure reports to be shared with internal and external colleagues.
- Manage exterior weathering sites located in Charlotte, NC (primary), Southfield, MI, and Orange, CA
- Work with international colleagues and coordinate exposure data collection on global products
- Within the applications laboratory, manage projects that affect product quality that arise in manufacturing.
- Investigate solutions for debottlenecking manufacturing difficulties
- Investigate alternative raw mater suppliers for cost saving or second sourcing opportunities.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, material science or other related science 5 years’ related experience -OR- Master's degree in chemistry, material science or other related science 3 years’ related experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in architectural and decorative coatings - weathering experience or paint formulation knowledge
- Demonstrated experience managing technical projects and customer relationships
- Excellent record of working with multi-faceted teams through knowledge-sharing, coaching and mentoring
- Ability to identify R&D opportunities through interaction and knowledge of markets, industry, and customers
- Previous experience with the collection, organization and maintenance of data
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: N-EDN-Dispersions North America
Title: Technical Specialist, Architectural & Decorative Coatings
Requisition ID: 1700099