BASF Operations Manager, Evans City, PA in Evans City, Pennsylvania
At BASF,we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
BASF has entered into an agreement to sell its Inorganic Specialties business to Edgewater Capital Partners LP, Cleveland, OH. The Inorganic Specialties division includes the Evans City, Pennsylvania, USA, production and the Specialty Alcoholates, Boranes and Alkali Metals product lines which are produced at the site. The transaction is expected to be completed in the first quarter 2017, subject to regulatory approval and other customary closing conditions. Financial terms of the transaction are not being disclosed. About 80 employees, including this position, will remain at the Evans City site and join Edgewater upon the closing.
Operations Manager (1604259)
The Operations Manager is a key member of the Evans City Leadership Team and is responsible for the effective production of the various products produced at the Evans City Site including pilot plant operations. You will lead the Operations Team to ensure the execution of the production plan in a safe, cost efficient, and reliable manner to meet customer requirements by coordinating, planning, and setting direction for the Operations Team. You will drive continuous improvement and the development of a high performance team to deliver results in alignment with business and site objectives.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Leads the Operations Team in development and execution of the production plan in a safe, efficient, and reliable manner to meet customer requirements.
- Establishes goals and tracks key performance indicators for the production processes to facilitate corrective actions and continuous improvements.
- Leverages teams to maximize productivity and reduce waste.
- Develops a high performance Operations Team that exemplifies the culture and behaviors required by the company through leadership, coaching and development, succession planning/knowledge transfer, and performance management.
- Determines, acquires, and adjusts equipment and personnel resources for Operations and Shipping Departments.
- Leads Operations Team in striving for zero quality defects by continually improving processes, equipment, and procedures.
- Defines asset and technology improvements, and contributes to establishing goals and targets for capital project improvements in collaboration with the Engineering Department.
- Contributes to site and technical leadership as a member of the Site Leadership Team.
- Drives operational excellence by continually challenging past practices and ways of thinking and encouraging responsible risk taking.
- Serves as a role model in innovative thinking and in focusing on quality within work.
- Interacts with Marketing and Research and Development groups to provide feasibility studies, define future manufacturing capability requirements, and project costs for new business opportunities and products.
- Directs and monitors operations to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and permits, including Process Safety regulations, and corporate and site procedures.
- Develops Operations Department fixed cost budgets, and manages department within the budget including variance management.
- Occasional deputy plant manager responsibilities.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
- B.S Degree in Engineering. Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years manufacturing-related experience in positions of increasing responsibilities. Minimum of three years of supervisory experience.
- Strong leadership and facilitator skills to manage technologies, assets, staffing, quality, and costs along with strong interpersonal skills to develop teamwork with subordinates and peers.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with and influence people at all levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated track record of manufacturing achievement in the critical success areas of EHS, cost reduction, quality improvement, efficiency improvement, and application of leading edge methods and technologies.
- Technical understanding of common chemical plan unit operations, equipment, and general chemistry principles.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to facilitate activities of Production Team and Engineers.
- Demonstrated safety leadership including understanding of environmental, transportation, and safety regulations including OSHA Process Safety Management regulations.
- Experience in project management and process improvements.
- Travel 5% of the time.
You May Also Have. . .
- Experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing processes
- Experience with highly reactive materials
- Experience with ISO 9001 and/or Responsible Care
- Experience with batch manufacturing
- Experience managing managers
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: N-CIN-Intermediates North America
Title: Operations Manager, Evans City, PA
Location: PA-Evans City
Requisition ID: 1604259