BASF Operations Research Manager - Florham Park, NJ in Florham Park, New Jersey
At BASF,we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking an Operations Research Manager to join our Global Business Analytics team at our Florham Park, NJ location. Global Business Analytics co-creates and delivers innovative data-driven solutions for better business decisions through mathematical modeling (operations research, statistical analysis, and data science), the development of sustainable programs, as well as IT solutions (process and visualization of results and “Big Data”).
This function acts as the center of expertise for “Big Data” within BASF and plays an important role in the implementation of projects comingfrom BASF 4.0 Tailored Solutions and Sustainable Programs which are developed and delivered in collaboration with all business and functional units within the BASF Group (including Procurement, Production, Supply Chain, Planning & Controlling, Marketing & Sales, and Finance).
Operations Research Manager (1604265) – Florham Park, NJ
As a member of a leading edge team of operations research experts responsible for leveraging mathematics to propel paradigm shifts across the entire company, you will support the initiation, execution, and completion of projects in the area of Mathematical Modeling and Business Optimization to increase business profitability and reduce costs. You will work within multidisciplinary teams and work in collaboration with members from various business and corporate units, to complete deliverables as defined by the requirements of projects and initiatives.
You will be ‘hands-on’ and work on projects, to execute deliverables during all phases of an optimization project, starting from project definition to completion. Deliverables will include the development of the appropriate mathematical models using internal tools and optimization software, collaborate with members from other functions to gather and validate the necessary data, and present the project results and benefits to the stake holders and internal clients.
Communicating the ideas and solutions of operations research to a broad community of non-mathematicians and acting as a driving force in international and interdisciplinary project teams will be a key success-factor. In addition, you should be able to work autonomously in the completion of deliverables. You will participate in all relevant project and team meetings as required.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Lead, Execute and CoordinateOperations Research/Optimization project deliverables (model development) -- dealing with conflicting goals set by the business.
- Collaboratewith project team members from various internal functions and BASF business units – as well as external partners – to successfully add value across BASF.
- Initiate and Supportthe development of innovative methods and applications in the field (based on market trends and eventually in collaboration with academia) and continuously develop the knowledge base of the team.
- Disseminatethe benefits of mathematical business optimization within BASF (e.g. organization of events) and identify opportunities for the company (initiate new projects)
- Mentor and coachjunior team members and support their projects with expertise and insights into BASF organization and projects.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- BA Degree required in either Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering or Business Management with a focus on quantitative methods; PHD preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in mathematical consulting in an industrial context
- Experience in project management and working with various stakeholders on different levels (SVP, Director and Senior Manager levels)
- Successful implementation of Supply Chain improvements within complex projects in large international corporations
- Experience and success working in complex optimization projects; experience and success working within intercultural teams in a global setting
- Experience and knowledge working with mathematical modeling languages and optimization software (e.g. GAMS, FICO, LLamasoft,CAST) as well as scripting languages such as Python
- Ability to translate a business challenge into a mathematical problem and to present results with managerial implications in common language; High degree of flexibility and an ability to learn and adapt quickly to new businesses
- Excellent team player with superior collaboration skills; ability to work autonomously in the completion of deliverables
- Excellent project management and collaboration skills; excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to establish and build sustainable internal and external business relationships; Hands-on experience in mathematical modeling in the process industry
- Expertise in the development of multi-user analytical IT solutions
Job: ITSE - Information Technology & Services
Organization: (NT)-Regional Functions North America
Title: Operations Research Manager - Florham Park, NJ
Location: NJ-Florham Park
Requisition ID: 1604265