BASF Strategic Platform Controller - Florham Park, NJ in Florham Park, New Jersey
At BASF,we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
BASF North America is the North American subsidiary of BASF the world's largest chemical company. BASF North American operations include all types of industrial, personal care and agricultural chemicals as well as plastics and coatings. Total North American sales are in excess of $18B and the company employs over 17,000 associates across the continent.
We are seeking a Manager, Strategic Platform Controlling to serve as a key business partner to Senior Executives leading North American Functions.
Manager, Strategic Platform Controlling - Florham Park, NJ (1700146)
You will work directly for the VP, Regional Controlling and provide ongoing management of strategic and operating financial plans, forecasts and actual results analysis and interpretation of $1.3B G&A spend. while ensuring adherence to group financial policies and enhancing transparency of cost drivers.
You will manage a small team and be an integral member of the Regional Controlling Team with key interfaces with the Director of Regional Controlling, Business Unit Controlling Directors and the Regional Functional Controlling Community. You will be afforded high visibility while working with high level Executive Management to help develop a strong understanding of regional and global initiatives and require proactive leadership initiative in a variety of cross-functional and strategic projects.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Lead North American Functional planning, forecasting and monthly analysis processes:
- Ensure effective and efficient execution and integration with global processes
- Constructively challenge Regionally Steered Functions to stimulate productive dialogue and secure accurate forecast/plan results
- Drive continuous enhancements and improvements in current processes
- Manage associated global and regional value added reporting and analysis
- Serve as North America point of contact for other regional and global colleagues, including but not limited to Corporate Controlling (ZOC), Regional Controllers and Global Functional Controllers
- Lead the North American Fixed Cost analysis:
- Manage discretionary cost reporting and analysis. Understand trends in cost savings and understand impact of one-time items and changes in cost definitions to estimate impact to regional profitability
- Create transparency between Regional Functions and Business Units, linking functional planning scope to allocations and cost drivers
- Build process to link demand driven services and volume drivers to current Functional and Fixed cost analysis
- Lead the North American Functional Controlling Community:
oEnsure active communication on all relevant regional/global initiatives
oDrive North American representation in work streams and process development within the global community
oAct as conduit for questions and problem solving for functional topics across the region. Share best practices as identified
- Serve as a Financial Business Partner to Senior Executives without dedicated controlling support, providing advice, counsel and financial analysis;
oSupport Wayne Smith (NA Regional CEO and BASF Group Board Member) with his corporate functional costs
oServe as Functional Controller for Regional Controlling (NT/C)
oSupport other functions on an as needed basis
- Coordinate and provide change management leadership for key global profitability projects (FFPG) Project;
oDevelop, together with global counterparts, standard processes for planning, forecasting, reporting and analysis of demand driven services
oEnhance current Service Catalog with updated information and demand driven services. Utilize to develop strong lines of communication across BASF's North American organization to enhance cost transparency
oDrive creation of new organizational hierarchy for functional accountability and communication, based on any realignments arising from FFPG
- Support VP, Regional Controlling in development and implementation of regional Controlling Job Family initiatives, including but not limited to training, recruiting and regional Sounding Board discussions, Controlling Conferences and roll out of 2025 Target Picture. Share best practices within the Controlling Community.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- B.S. degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related subject. MBA strongly preferred
- Minimum of seven years broad based financial management experience, ideally in a global process driven manufacturing company
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills with the ability to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to hire for potential and lead, coach and develop direct reports
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, the ability to think and act on both strategic and tactical levels
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, must be capable of effectively presenting ideas to senior management and influencing key decision makers.
- Experience and outstanding capability with IT systems: expert knowledge of excel required, experience with BASF financial systems such as COINs preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels, exhibits excellent coaching and leadership capabilities and the potential for significant future career growth.
- Strong business orientation evidencing the ability to approach business issues from multiple functional/operational perspectives.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Prior experience with significant operational and or functional change management activity would be preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, with the courage to challenge the status quo.
Job: CONT - Controlling
Organization: (NT)-Regional Functions North America
Title: Strategic Platform Controller - Florham Park, NJ
Location: NJ-Florham Park
Requisition ID: 1700146