BASF Lab Technician II in Huntsville, Alabama
Purpose of the Job
At the BASF Huntsville Plant, we make the chemistry and technology used in vehicle catalytic convertors and other environmental products. As part of our team, employees help us conceive, design, implement and validate new equipment, technologies and processes to help make our world's environment cleaner. Our Quality Control Department plays a vital role in the success of our plant. This position contributes by performing laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials and final product for such purposes as quality control, process control, engineering specifications and product development by performing the following duties.
- Routinely operates all laboratory equipment and instruments such as x-rays, centrifuge, agitators, rheometer, chemical balance scales, spectrometer, colorimeter, and other equipment. Needs to be able to perform 3 out of the 5 Lab duties independently. Plus, demonstrates the ability to be an actuate trainer in 3 out of the 5 Lab duties.
- Generates data from a variety of laboratory techniques and analytic instrumentation, such as catalytic reactor systems, total surface area analyzers, thermos graphic gravimetric analyzers, x-rays and spectrometers. Must be able to read and understand PS documents, Work Instructions, SOP documents, and LIMS data.
- Adheres to company procedures and work instructions and industrial standards regarding sampling and testing techniques and proper handling and preparation of raw material and final product samples in support of company’s environmental objectives.
- Participates in routine and non-routine validation studies to replicate results and to verify results with industry or scientific literature standards.
- Prepares and tests routine raw materials and final product samples for such qualities as purity, stability, viscosity, density, chemical composition and concentration.
- Prepares and test routine intermediate and final product samples for presence and content of elements or substances such as: hydrocarbons, organics, and impurities.
- Conducts engineering specification testing to assure final product meets or exceeds customer specifications.
- Identifies, investigates and reports on nonconforming final products and other materials.
- Develops and produces tests samples of engineered and manufactured products to verify conformity to desired specifications and for use in x-ray calibration.
- Accesses data acquisition software and inputs test records and report results using a variety of computer software systems.
- Demonstrates the ability of helping keep work flow balance on schedule during the shift when necessary.
Knowledge and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED with demonstrated enhanced math and/or science ability with 2 or more years of work experience in an industrial laboratory setting
- Must be able to operate machines of medium complexity, often including use of intermediate computer skills
- Must demonstrate enhanced trouble shooting skills within their assigned process
- Must demonstrate the ability to handle multitask assignments
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations while performing tasks which may require multiple steps
Nature and Scope
- Work environment/Physical demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/nor move up to 10 pounds and occasionally life and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The use of personal protection equipment is required including, safety glasses, safety shoes and gloves. Use of breathing respirator may be required.
- May be required to work mandatory overtime and/or twelve hour shifts.
- Business environment
- BASF Catalysts is a global operating division located within the United States.
- CCE (Mobile Emissions Catalysts) is a global business unity primarily servicing the global automotive OEM marketplace.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Title: Lab Technician II
Requisition ID: 1700118