BASF North America Technical Manager - Mining Solutions; Tucson, AZ in Tucson, Arizona
BASF Mining Solutions, part of the Performance Chemicals Division, is a growth business that offers an extensive range of mineral processing reagents to the Mining Industry worldwide. We offer major operational, environmental and economic benefits based on our advanced chemistry and leading application expertise. Our strategic relevant market is the mineral processing sector of Mining, encompassing flotation, solid/liquid separation, agglomeration, hydrometallurgy, tailings management and more.
Mining Solutions North America is the industry facing unit within the region responsible for implementing the global strategy and developing regional plans and local commercial and R&D programs to achieve our short and long term goals.
This Technical Manager will support the technical activities of the Mining Solutions business in North America, Central America and the Caribbean.The role will also manage all technical service laboratory personnel. Manage all metallurgical and analytical support for solvent extraction related customer service, reagent production, and developmental projects. Manage analytical instrument maintenance, supervise lab related regulatory program (DOT, EHS, RCRA, etc), and administer the EHS program (SHE). Manage technical service quality system (ISO 9001). Manage daily operations of the Tucson laboratories as well as guide the activities of the field external technical service personnel.This role will be the key role in assigning technical support to the various projects under development in the region in conjunction with sales management and business development management.
- Serving as the lead technical expert for the North America business unit and represent the North America region as a member of the global technical community.
- Providing technical leadership to other technical and sales personnel within the business unit as well as overseeing laboratory activities
- Making periodic customer visits (jointly with a sales representative) to educate customers on the BASF product & technology portfolio,to identify opportunities where BASF chemistry and/or technology could meet current or future customer needs, and to assist or conduct customer trials on new & existing applications.
- Supporting Marketing issues as required (i.e., market technical literature, commercialization efforts, trade shows, etc).
- Lab management.Organize laboratory work and schedules.Review results of laboratory work and report results to internal or external customers.Review reports from technical sales team to ensure that technical content is accurate.
- Customer Support.Provide service support to customer base as required or assigned. Answer technical and chemistry related questions on a daily basis from external and internal customers.Work with sales and business management to assign technical resources to support projects at customer sites and in the lab.Ultimate goal of this collaboration is to grow business to meet sales targets.
- Regulatory. Responsible for maintaining procedures for hazmat shipping, waste management, and SHE/Chemical hygiene. (DOT CFR49, RCRA CFR40, and corporate EHS respectively).Act as Site Chemical Hygiene Officer.
- Corporate Quality. Responsible for safety program for technical group and the responsible party during internal and external audits. Maintain procedures corresponding to laboratory function and safety. Point of contact, during internal and external audits
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
1.Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
2.Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
3.Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
4.Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
5.Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
6.Execute performance and career development discussions
7.Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
8.Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Metallurgy, Engineering or related technical field. Minimum of 8 years in Mining industry, Chemical industry preferred.
- 3 years of leadership experience in leading technical teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills. Ability to deal with influence customers.
- Strong problem solving, leadership, and communication skills are required
- Proficient computer skills – Microsoft Office, Excel, Power Point, Email, and analytical instrument software.
- Organization – Be able to multi-task and work through projects swiftly.
- Self Directed – Be able to work efficiently with minimal direction. Determine and communicate ideas which can be used to improve current technical and business procedures.
- Travel up to 40%
Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Metallurgy, Engineering or related technical field. Minimum of 8 years in Mining industry, Chemical industry preferred.3 years of leadership experience in leading technical teams.Excellent interpersonal and management skills. Ability to deal with influence customers.Strong problem solving, leadership, and communication skills are requiredProficient computer skills – Microsoft Office, Excel, Power Point, Email, and analytical instrument software.Organization – Be able to multi-task and work through projects swiftly.Self Directed – Be able to work efficiently with minimal direction. Determine and communicate ideas which can be used to improve current technical and business procedures.Travel up to 40%BASFRS
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Job: ENGI - Engineering & Technical Service
Organization: N-EVP-Performance Chemicals
Title: North America Technical Manager - Mining Solutions; Tucson, AZ
Requisition ID: 1604249