BASF Strategic Marketing Manager - Adhesives in Wyandotte, Michigan
At BASF,we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Formula for Success: You Will…
Skilled in the area of chartering core/extended teams, processes of governance and rigorous project management (including work breakdown structure and critical path analysis). Remaining disciplined in execution toward New Market Development (NMD) milestones.
Lead without direct authority. For example, demonstrates skills in being forthright, clear and honest to garner support before work is required of extended team members. Exercises persuasive influence to achieve goals.
Key individual responsibilities
- Responsible for the development of a global business strategy for their assigned segments. Includes a fully integrated marketing plan with clear direction, management, and positioning of key products and brands. The strategy should drive the alignment across functions in all lead countries. For example our newly emerging Adhesives Task Force requires global leadership and direction. The Project Leader would create this strategy and roadmap for deployment across all industry segments.
- Responsible for the development of portfolio road maps for the lead industry segments with clear direction on how BASF will grow sales profitability and manage complexity. Market trends, competitive portfolios, regulatory risks, customer needs, and BASF capabilities must be mapped out as part of the portfolio strategy. For example, the construction segment will favor a compressed gas storage program that features new expertise developed in filament winding and leads to a multigenerational product plan. This will, however, only include the initial launch 5-10 years with intent to train the business managers locally.
- Responsible for identifying market drivers, trends, opportunities for BASF for their segment(s). Responsible for understanding how their market segment(s) will develop and how best to position BASF for long-term profitable growth. Includes recommendation on where to invest in human, physical and financial resources (e.g., how to invest research funds). Defines project specific time-to-market drivers including customer & market requirements, R&D activity, capital needs, new business models, etc. Defines and communicates the project plan for NMD project(s).
- As a coordinating core team member only, the Project Leader will be responsible for on-time, on-budget delivery of all global research projects for the assigned segments. Ensure proper use of internal systems, organize cross segment core team meetings, encourage active participation from all core team members, particularly members from the lead segments (i.e. Construction and Transportation).
- Propose annually the Research and Development recommendations on how to invest in product development. GNT will want the Project Leader to refresh the Composite Roadmap direction and present the update at the RSC.
- Execute the Product launch deep dive curriculum aligned with New Skyline is mission critical when it comes time to launch the multigenerational product plan. The successful completion of this task will be measured by the effectiveness and timeliness of the launch translation package. Manages & executes technical project plans necessary to develop and commercialize NMD products.
- Leads cross-functional teams to ensure project plan is achieved. For example, Raw Material planning with Product Management and Procurement functions is critical to ensure timely delivery and fulfillment goals needed to be successful.
Conducts interviews to validate with targeted customers to sell the value proposition of NMD products, develops customized solutions and influence the initial buying decision.
Project Specific responsibilities
The Performance Materials adhesives portfolio has been identified as a key strategic growth area and a global task force has been assembled. The team has a NA Region sponsor (PMN SVP) and commercial/technology development functional layers. This position will lead the efforts globally. It will include all elements of building a more organized business model including, innovation roadmap, production/capacity planning, multigenerational product plans, RM sourcing strategy, market attractiveness, managing a resource budget, etc. The team has clear commercial targets aligned with global counterparts.
Drive the concept to prospects that BASF is the premier partner based on the portfolio breadth, technology base, bench strength and applications expertise offered in the marketplace. Exercise persuasive influencing skills with our internal stakeholders.
- Speak convincingly on the value derived from core technologies and technical competencies. Develop and communicate unique value propositions effectively with customers and downstream stakeholders. Leverage power maps and buying centers to tailor the communication with the right person.
- Be an excellent listener who can elicit, capture and communicate unmet market needs to appropriate personnel inside BASF. The willingness to pay for the needs expressed must also be part of this communication.
- Garner commitment in early stages of the sales process by proposing conditionally with the customer. Trade activities and expertise to continually gauge the involvement of our customer and value seen therein.
Be a champion inside BASF for cross-business cooperation, by frequently citing success stories and good practices from market development activities.
Direct adhesives task force project team members to ensure objectives and key milestones are clearly understood and targeted. Demonstrate flexibility and resolve in meeting business objectives. Create and foster a safe, positive, high performance work environment
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For In You...
- Bachelor degree with 7 years or Masters with 5 years or PhD with 2 years of experience in project leadership (e.g., business development, technical sales, sales and or marketing) is required
- Bachelor degree with 10 years or Master with 8 years or PhD with 5 years of experience in project leadership strongly preferred
- MBA is a plus
- Experience directly related to adhesives market(s) a plus
- The ability to travel 50% or more, including potential international travel is required
Job: MARK - Marketing
Organization: N-PMN-Performance Materials NA
Title: Strategic Marketing Manager - Adhesives
Requisition ID: 1700147