BASF Solvents (Glymes) B Operator in Zachary, Louisiana
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The BASF Zachary Site produces a broad range of chemicals: including electrolytes used in rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries and specialty solvents used in pharmaceuticals, electronics, agrochemicals, and industrial coatings. The Zachary site also maintains an established Custom manufacturing business, providing toll processing services to a number of industry partners. The Zachary site is located about 15 miles north of Baton Rouge. The site is certified under ISO9001:2008 management system.
The incumbent in this position will support the duties of the “A” operator and take direction from the Production Supervisor and “A" operator to operate the Solvents/Customs Units. This includes responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of the Solvents / Customs unit, and completing operational objectives as instruction by management. Solvents/Customs to include BEE, Dioxane, Dioxolane, Ionic Liquids, Lix 63, Glymes, toll manufacturing, and custom PC still distillations, in addition to other specialty solvents.
Also provides trouble shooting support to the “A” operator within the solvents unit team, facilitating general area processing requirements such as, but not limited to, alignment, loading, unloading, verifying levels, flows, and ensuring continuity of auxiliary operations and processes such as distillation, extractors, dryers, and separators, as well as providing for requirements to special operations in the unit operations. Must be able to work with others and facilitate processing as directed by the unit’s “A” Operator, by supervision, and unit instructions from standard methods. Perform above duties for all newly introduced processes in above units.
· Maintain adherence to company policies, safety standards, and good housekeeping practices.
· Maintain environmental compliance in the Solvents / Customs Unit.
· Issue safe work permits.
· Lock out and tag out equipment.
· Participate in the daily SAP functions for the Solvents / Customs Unit.
· Ensure that orders are completed on time and in full to meet the monthly goal specified.
· Ensure that first pass acceptance for Solvents / Customs meets the monthly goal specified.
· Participates in the investigation and determination of root cause and corrective actions for EHS incidents, and product quality issues.
· Development and review of operational procedures.
· Cross training and learn all Solvents / Customs Operations.
· Provide for proper operating conditions and process alignments for on-spec product.
· Learn, and apply knowledge to new or existing Solvents / Customs processing trials and process startups as scheduled (this will typically be concurrent with normal operations).
· Monitor process components for effective operations and make necessary adjustments.
· Load, unload, and transfer materials, document transfers, sample for analysis.
· Make continuous checks on processing equipment for safe, effective, proper performance.
· Relieve and or rotate activities with other area operator to further improve capabilities.
· Maintain area unit checklists for auxiliary processes and safely/environmental needs.
· Provide constant feed back and documentation of process status using Gantt charts, statistical process control (SPC) and other relevant tools.
· Participate in emergency response. (This includes safe and orderly start up and shut down.)
· Participate in continuous improvement activities.
· Participate in unit PHAs
· Give and receive thorough shift turnover communication.
· Completion of computer-based and other required training on time.
· Operate a fork lift to transport raw materials and products on site.
· Any other job duties as assigned.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
High school diploma or GED certificate.
Prefer five years of related experience in a chemical manufacturing environment (can be met through demonstration of ability testing).
Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and SAP
Proficiency in industrial math, reading comprehension, and mechanical reasoning.
Ability to continuously learn and adapt to change.
Ability to effectively communicate and interact with diverse groups of people.
Ability to function in a team environment.
Ability to use appropriate information technologies.
Ability to work 12-hour rotating shifts
Must be able to use all required PPE, including full face respirator and chemical suit.
Must be able to climb ladders to 75 feet
Must be able to walk, bend, kneel, and climb
Must be able to work in a high temperature and humidity environment
Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: N-CIN-Intermediates North America
Title: Solvents (Glymes) B Operator
Requisition ID: 1701426