BASF Associate Breeder - Champaign, IL in Champaign, Illinois
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2021. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Associate Breeder (2200623) – Champaign, Illinois
Where the Chemistry Happens…
As an Associate Breeder you will contribute to the development of superior soybean varieties by assisting in the execution of all technical and agronomic aspects of the breeding program. You will also support research and development activities by assisting in seed processing and field management for all research and development trials conducted by the breeding program.
Formula for Success: You will…
Work in close collaboration with the Senior Breeder, manage on- and offsite yield trial operations of the breeding program including, but not limited to planting, data collection, plot maintenance, harvesting, seed processing, and packaging. The management of these activities will encompass all indoor and outdoor activities and will require a continual focus on improvement of methods and efficiency.
Actively participate in execution of agronomic aspects of the breeding program, at both on- and offsite locations, including farm operations, equipment management, planting, field maintenance, data collection and harvest.
In close collaboration with the Senior Breeder, ensure that all relevant data is collected, and relevant assays for quality control are conducted in a timely manner.
- Assist with daily activities conducted by the breeding staff
- Ensure compliance with all safety, stewardship, and regulatory policies
- Train and supervise temporary workers as needed
- Daily and close interaction with soybean breeding team members onsite
- Supervision of temporary employees during planting, data collection, harvesting, and seed processing/packaging.
- Interaction as needed with BASF QMS, Regulatory Affairs, Stewardship, and BASF Regional Managers
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- MS in Plant Breeding or related with minimum of 2 years of relevant experience or BS Plant Breeding or related with minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience with agricultural equipment and field plot technique
- Working experience within a field-based breeding program is highly beneficial
- Knowledge of soybeans, agriculture research, production systems, and agronomics in the Midwest is highly desired.
- Ability to attain a pesticide applicators license and/or a CDL
- Excellent organization, human relation skills, and attention to detail are required
- Proficient with computers and MS software, database software is required
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: APP/BS-Soybean Breeding-63021789
Title: Associate Breeder - Champaign, IL
Requisition ID: 2200623
Other Locations: US-Illinois