BASF Technical Specialist II in Charlotte, North Carolina
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF , we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2021. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Technical Specialist II, Construction Solutions – Charlotte, NC
We Make Chemistry ....
The Construction Solutions Group (CSG) is dedicated to bringing innovative formulated solutions to our customers in the construction industry by combining the entire BASF portfolio of products and services. BASF has an opening for a Technical Specialist within the Construction Coatings segment of our Construction Solutions business.
We are seeking a professional like you to support multiple applications areas and customers of varying complexity. The Technical Specialist role is responsible for supporting and bringing formulated solutions to our customers and should have experience with waterborne emulsion formulation techniques within the construction coatings industry. Experience involving air-weather barrier coatings, waterproofing coatings, and/or roof coatings is preferred.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join a team focused on bringing technological innovations to the market and solving challenging problems in the laboratory for our customers. You will bridge the divide between R&D and application development as you support achieving our customers’ goals. This role is responsible for utilizing the entire BASF portfolio and working in a collaborative manner to resolve customer challenges, identifying new opportunities, and participating in the BASF global technical community.
Formula for Success:
Key responsibilities include the following:
• Support BASF customers with in-depth technical knowledge in the art of formulating waterborne latexes, preferably in construction coatings applications.
• Entrepreneurial mindset – candidate is expected to stay current with trends, development and innovations in the Construction Coatings industry.
• Utilizes in-depth technical know-how of products, test methods, and industry standard applications within the construction and coatings industries to support customers and develop new and innovative technical opportunities to expand the business.
• Candidate will be familiar with the competitive landscape and products, maintain knowledge of customer application testing, support business growth through participation at trade shows/conferences, participate in industry organizations to represent BASF interests, and be able to train direct and indirect customers on BASF products and processes.
• Works as an individual contributor by developing and testing formulated solutions for customer applications. Coaches/mentors the CSG Technical Specialists, Chemists, and Laboratory Technicians.
• Owns the technical relationships with selected customers. Establishes relationships and becomes the trusted advisor with the customer’s technical community to facilitate growth opportunities.
• Provides both remote and on-site customer support to ensure long-term customer loyalty including state of the art customer consulting and training.
• Proactively pursues and focuses on execution of customer-driven innovations and new application fields and manages joint development projects with full accountability.
• Assists strategic account manager and account managers in the selling process through formulated solutions development, technical relationship management, and operations support and troubleshooting.
• Assists marketing managers in developing value propositions, marketing collateral and actively maintaining the product development pipeline for markets of expertise.
Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Minimum 10 years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and industrial experience in one or more of the fields: construction coatings, sealants, adhesives, and/or nonwovens.
Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation).
Experience with development and application testing of emulsion polymers and formulations in the construction coatings industry.
Demonstrated industry technical leadership and technology/product line application experience.
Excellent track record of working with multi-faceted teams through knowledge-sharing, coaching and mentoring
Experience utilizing statistical design of experiment tools in R&D environments.
Demonstrated ability to identify R&D opportunities through interaction and knowledge of markets, industry, and customers.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
Job: ENGI - Engineering & Technical Service
Organization: N-EDN/DC-Construction and Fiber Bonding-63008354
Title: Technical Specialist II
Requisition ID: 2103276