BASF Field Operator in Kankakee, Illinois
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Field Operator (1803186 – Kankakee, IL)
The Chemical Plant Operator will manufacture quality finished goods and manage hazardous raw materials in a safe and efficient manner by follow operating procedures, safety procedures, regulatory requirements and site standards and policies to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the site.
In addition, the following activities will be performed:
• Conduct routine inspections and monitoring of operating equipment (e.g. pumps, storage tanks, instrumentation, utilities, safety equipment, tools etc.) in the reactors and associated areas to determine current operating status
• Read, record and interpret data of instruments, reactors, tanks, pumps, cooling unit, etc., and makes corrective adjustments as required to keep efficient production on reactor trains
• Perform maintenance, i.e., purges, washes, dries, and recharges equipment
• Draws samples of product at specified stages and performs analytical laboratory tests to determine if manufacturing is proceeding efficiently and in conformity with specifications
• Work from both verbal & written instructions of Shift Supervisor, standard procedures, batch sheet & loading sheets to operate reactors, as well as, filling & loading systems
• Works with the Panel Operator to set priorities without supervisor approval
• Identification of equipment malfunctions and coordinates with maintenance and/or the Shift Supervisor to institute corrective actions
• Data entry for documentation/record purposes into SAP, excel, batch records, etc
• Assist in the running of reactors, to include analytical testing
• Loading and unloading of raw materials and finished product to/from tank trucks, railcars, totes, or drums as required
• Utilize power industrial trucks to move materials, equipment or supplies as required
• Troubleshoot equipment problems
• Prepare solutions, raw materials and equipment for the production of batches
Prepare equipment for operation, maintenance, & cleaning
• Responsible for all aspects of personal safety, product quality, as well as, filling, loading, and unloading systems and their auxiliary equipment such as bins, filters, blend tanks, and utility equipment for air, nitrogen, cooling water, and steam
• Assistance to plant during outages, and maintain operating condition of key equipment
• Perform assigned duties as outlined by supervisor, management or designee.
• Ability to meet the physical demands of the job which include: working 12 hour rotating shifts and overtime as required, working indoors and outdoors with the use of stairways/ladders to perform tasks. Driving and operating a forklift truck is an essential part of the position.
• Takes daily direction from the Shift Supervisor and may have interaction with other members of management.
• Daily interaction may be required with the Production Execution Manager, Production Scheduler, QA Lab, Maintenance and Engineering staff to ensure workload, schedule and priorities are followed.
• A majority of the work is completed outside working in the elements
• Working 12-hr rotating shift, and overtime as required
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF , you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
• High school education or GED.
• Minimum 6 months working knowledge of the mechanics & operation of different types of process equipment (e.g. pumps, valves, agitators, instrumentation, controls etc.).
• Prior SAP knowledge
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Power point, etc)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: G-ENP/PV-Operations Pharma Solutions & NA-63019352
Title: Field Operator
Requisition ID: 1803186