BASF Packager / Helper in Kankakee, Illinois
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with strong emphasis process safety, as well as safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Packager/Helper - 1800952 – Kankakee, IL
The Chemical Plant Operator will manufacture quality finished goods and manage hazardous raw materials in a safe and efficient manner by follow operating procedures, safety procedures, regulatory requirements and site standards and policies to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the site.
In addition, the following activities will be performed:
• Responsible for packaging finished product, labeling product, & preparing product for delivery or warehousing. To include analytical testing.
• Ensures the packaging line is set up, that the appropriate packaging materials are in the area to be used and ensures the area is cleaned up prior to the shift turnover.
• Responsible for assuring quality work and appearance of finished product packaging is acceptable to customer or BASF specifications, and minimizing rework.
• Takes corrective actions when nonconformance occurs based on customer or BASF specifications
• May perform work on various packaging lines on the site to ensure the packaging schedules are met.
• Conduct routine inspections and monitoring of operating packaging equipment.
• Troubleshoot and/or identify equipment malfunctions and coordinates with maintenance and/or the Shift Supervisor to institute corrective actions
• Work from both verbal & written instructions of Shift Supervisor.
• Data entry for documentation/record purposes into SAP, excel, batch records, etc.
• Assist with the loading and unloading of raw materials and finished product to/from tank trucks, railcars, totes, or drums as needed.
• Utilize power industrial trucks to move materials, equipment or supplies as required.
• Prepare equipment for operation, maintenance, & cleaning.
• Responsible for all aspects of personal safety, product quality, as well as, filling, loading, and unloading systems and their auxiliary equipment such as bins, filters, blend tanks, and utility equipment for air, nitrogen, cooling water, and steam
• May perform work in various areas on the site to ensure the production schedules are met.
• Works with the Field Operator to assist as needed to meet production demands.
• Assistance to plant during outages, and maintain operating condition of key equipment
• Perform assigned duties as outlined by supervisor, management or designee.
• Participate in all required safety training
• Maintain good housekeeping in work areas and assist in general cleanup as needed
• Support and participate in the site ISO 9000, PSM, RMP and RCMS programs.
• Contribute to the success of plant goals & objectives through participation in activities to further advance safety, quality, costs, productivity and morale throughout the plant
• Support & participate in the BASF Process Safety Program (i.e. Zero Incident Mindset, complete training, report all incidents, participate in investigations etc.).
• Ability to meet the physical demands of the job which include: working 12 hour rotating shifts and overtime as required, working indoors and outdoors with the use of stairways/ladders to perform tasks. Driving and operating a forklift truck is an essential part of the position.
• Takes daily direction from the Shift Supervisor and may have interaction with other members of management.
• Daily interaction may be required with the Production Execution Manager, Production Scheduler, QA Lab, Maintenance and Engineering staff to ensure workload, schedule and priorities are followed.
• A majority of the work is completed both inside buildings and outside working in the elements.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF , you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
• High school education or GED.
• Ability to achieve a minimum score on pre-placement aptitude tests.
• Familiarity with safety practices and techniques relating to the chemical industry (e.g. Safe Work Permits, LOTO, Confined Space Entry, Hot Work). This includes writing permits & SEC’s.
• A basic understanding and awareness of chemicals and their nature, hazards, safety and health issues etc. (MSDS’s, use of PPE etc.)
• A working knowledge of computers & the MS Windows operating system.
• Prior SAP knowledge
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Power point, etc)
• A working knowledge of the mechanics & operation of different types of process equipment (e.g. pumps, valves, agitators, instrumentation, controls etc.).
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude, troubleshooting and decision making skills.
• Ability to multi-task and monitor/control a number of different activities simultaneously.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: N-EMN-Care Chemicals NA
Title: Packager / Helper
Requisition ID: 1800952