BASF Intellectual Property Counsel - Research Triangle Park, NC in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are also constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has recently been recognized as one of “America’s Best Employers” by Forbes Magazine and Glassdoor.
Our greatest assets -- our people and the chemistry they create -- are fundamental to BASF’s success. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Counsel, Intellectual Property role is integral in the continued development and protection of BASF’s intellectual property assets, working under the oversight of an Associate General Counsel.
If selected for this position, you will be expected to provide, in a timely and effective manner, the highest-quality legal support for a broad range of business-oriented IP services for, and to build partnerships with, assigned R&D and business units within BASF. You must possess in-depth knowledge of IP transactional practice and of US patent and intellectual property law. You will have direct responsibility for providing the legal support described below to research and business personnel in the Agricultural Solutions and Bioscience Research divisions, which focus on seed, seed treatment, and pesticide products and technologies.
Formula for Success: You Will…
Directly handle the following transactional responsibilities:
• Collaborating with R&D and business unit clients to timely identify all agreements necessary to implement their respective objectives.
• Advising R&D and business unit clients on IP contract issues and interpretation.
• Reviewing, negotiating, and drafting a broad range of contracts such as:
o Confidentiality agreements with universities, research organizations, commercial partners and private sector institutions to implement long-term strategic and commercial objectives for the subject IP;
o Material transfer agreements covering early-stage, proprietary chemistry and/or products;
o Service agreements;
o Consultant agreements;
o License agreements, including complex, cross-border in- and out-license agreements, cross-license agreements, development license agreements, and license and supply agreements;
o Technology transfer agreements;
o IP asset acquisition agreements; and
o IP asset divestiture agreements.
• Conducting IP due diligence for M&A transactions.
Directly handle the following non-transactional responsibilities, with the global IP team and/or through management of outside counsel:
• Advising on patentability, validity, and infringement.
• Serving as senior IP advisor to your assigned R&D and business unit clients.
• Managing patent portfolios.
• Developing and implementing patent strategies to protect innovations.
• Conducting freedom-to-operate assessments.
• Effectively communicating with people at all levels of the Company, including complicated technical and legal issues to non-technical personnel, to enable critical decisions on IP and IP litigation matters.
• Working closely with other members of the IP, Legal and other functions, e.g., Tax, Insurance and HR, on regional and global levels.
• Providing IP litigation support, working in conjunction with BASF’s US litigation attorneys and global IP team.
• Conducting and/or coordinating IP training, working in conjunction with BASF’s US commercial attorneys and global IP teams.
• Employing deft social skills to mediate between, and balance, occasional competing R&D and business unit interests.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. We believe that adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. Our suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities that we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career is you@BASF . With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
Working for the large, global organization that BASF is, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You …
• JD degree and a license to practice law in at least one US state
• Admission to practice before the USPTO
• Minimum 8 years of IP practice
• Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, biological sciences, or engineering
• In-house counsel experience
• Experience in crop protection and/or seed industry(s)
• Experience overseeing external counsel work and fees, including alternative fee arrangements
Job: LEIN - Legal & Insurance
Organization: G-FLN-Legal North America
Title: Intellectual Property Counsel - Research Triangle Park, NC
Location: NC-Research Triangle Park
Requisition ID: 1802269