BASF Applications Solutions Scientist - San Diego, CA in San Diego, California
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized as a 2020 Best Employer for Diversity by Forbes. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Applications Solutions Scientist (2002360) – San Diego, CA
Where the Chemistry Happens
Enzymes are used in the pulp and paper industry to lower total costs of operation through reduced energy consumption, improved productivity, and lower chemical costs. For pulp and paper applications, BASF has products that are commercial as well as under development. We are seeking a professional like you to conduct lab work in support of the commercialization and development activities led by the Technical Service Manager, Technical Enzymes.
The diversity of application conditions (equipment, temperature, pH etc.) makes it necessary to assist customers through lab work in adoption of the enzymes. Your job is to conduct and document laboratory work assigned by the Technical Service Manager, Technical Enzymes and to interact with BASF personnel, suppliers, and with customers under appropriate guidance.
Although not required, a basic knowledge of enzymes used in papermaking applications, which include xylanase for bleaching, cellulase for fiber modification and alpha amylase for starch modification is advantageous for this role.
Formula for Success
· Leveraging your education in science and experience in a chemical / biological laboratory, you will prepare samples and carry-out routine and non-routine tests in multiple technical applications such as pulp bleaching and pulp fiber modification via refining.
· Working as a team player, you may assist w/ basic application related work for Bioenergy when needed.
· Your experience in utilizing computer technology, particularly knowledge of MS Office programs, you will record, assemble and manipulate data using relevant computer software (e.g. Excel).
· Demonstrating your acute observation and willingness to adapt & be flexible to changing priorities, you will sometimes attend mill trials to provide lab support.
· Your proficiency in time management will be a valued asset as you communicate via reports key project work and findings in a timely and accurate manner.
· Your keen attention to detail will be essential as you ensure appropriate laboratory documents (Safety, ISO, Standard Test Procedures, etc.) are prepared in a timely manner. You will also use this skill to review data for thoroughness and accuracy and prepare simple reports for review by Technical Lead Enzymes.
· Your commitment to workplace health and safety will be evident as you drive a safe workplace (Soar cards and lab audits) and high-quality work (first time right and delivering results on promised dates).
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: G-ENB/OM-Sales & Marketing-63013601
Title: Applications Solutions Scientist - San Diego, CA
Location: CA-San Diego
Requisition ID: 2002360