BASF Senior Scientist I in San Diego, California
At BASF , we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking a professional like you to be responsible for developing, planning, and executing fermentation and recovery schemes, and assisting in the technology transfer to our in-house Pilot Plant and commercial scale. You will supervise junior scientists and provide technical leadership as part of a cross-functional team.
Senior Scientist – Fermentation Technologies - 1802853
BASF Enzymes, LLC is seeking a Senior Scientist for our Fermentation Technologies group in the R&D department. The Senior Scientist will be responsible for executing independent projects related to the optimization of fermentation and recovery conditions in novel enzyme products. The candidate is expected to be able to design, execute, and analyze complex experiments with minimal supervision and adhere to project deadlines. The Senior Scientist will mentor junior team members and provide an environment of open communication and learning for shared success.
Formula for Success: You Will…
· Use your PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or a closely-related discipline to design, execute, analyze, and interpret fermentation and recovery experiments under minimal supervision from the Sr. Team Leader
· Apply your education and 3 or more years’ industry experience to innovatively devise and execute experiments for optimizing and troubleshooting enzyme fermentation and recovery, using Design of Experiments and fundamental physiological knowledge
· Timely and effectively document results and procedures for presentations, reports, and IP filings
· Interface with other groups within BASF to align on shared project goals
· Provide technical expertise across multidisciplinary projects and teams
· Contribute to daily operations of the fermentation team including fermenter preparation, setup and breakdown, fermenter operation, and recovery equipment operation
· Handle complex tasks simultaneously and adhere to timelines, milestones, and completion dates
· Assist in the development and improvement of laboratory infrastructure and protocols
· Maintain a safe working environment.
· Thrive in a team oriented environment where you can be self-motivated and use your excellent communication skills, attention to detail, organization, and time management skills to be a successful leader in the Fermentation technologies group
As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
We Also Look For…
· Advanced interpersonal, management, and team skills and proven ability to work in interdisciplinary and intercultural teams
· Managerial experience is a plus
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: RBW/ND-Molecular / Cell Biology-63010579
Title: Senior Scientist I
Location: CA-San Diego
Requisition ID: 1802853