BASF Plant Pathology Technician-6 Month Contract in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Located in Saskatoon, SK and reporting to the Plant Pathologist, you will evaluate transgenic and traditional canola breeding lines for resistance to common diseases, screen and phenotype breeding generations during resistance introgression into elite lines and develop accurate and efficient protocols to evaluate germplasm with various genetic backgrounds for resistance to economically important diseases of canola.
· Conduct and assist in managing field disease nurseries (across the prairies) and greenhouse experiments/projects for evaluating canola lines for disease resistance.
· Evaluate and characterize existing and new resistance genes to important canola diseases and introgression of resistance into elite lines.
· Screening germplasm; including double haploids, mapping populations, parental lines and hybrids with various fungal pathogens and complete disease ratings in a timely manner.
· Collection, isolation and characterization or pathotyping of targeted canola fungal pathogens from the field.
· Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture, Biological Sciences, Applied Microbiology or equivalent.
· Hands-on experience with fungal isolation, purification and culturing and/or a strong ability to learn.
· Working knowledge of plant genetics, canola/plant breeding strategies, host-pathogen interactions and experimental design for laboratory/greenhouse experiments.
· Experience in field plot research, experimental design and handling of small plot equipment are an asset.
· Ability to work independently as well as contribute to a dynamic team environment.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: APP/BO-Oilseeds Breeding-63022026
Title: Plant Pathology Technician-6 Month Contract
Requisition ID: 1900310