BASF Senior Team Leader - 3D Printing in Wyandotte, Michigan
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF , we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Senior Team Leader, 3D Printing - 1802714
BASF is a technology-driven, global company dedicated to identifying future growth fields and trends and making products to solve the needs of our customers. Additive manufacturing (3D printing) represents a growth field where chemistry, materials science, and process engineering all play key roles. With this position, we are building the best team in our Wyandotte Technical Center, Wyandotte, MI, in support of our growing reactive systems for 3D printing applications.
In this position, you will report to the Technical manager 3D Printing research NA and will have an active role in setting up and establishing a 3D printing application lab in Wyandotte, MI. You will lead projects to develop reactive materials and formulations for new 3D printing applications.
Formula for Success: You Will...
• Use your PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science / Engineering or Chemical Engineering and minimum 4 years experience in formulation of ink and paste, soft matter science and/or additive manufacturing technology to manage regular lab activities including hands on material R & D projects for 3D printing product development.
• Install equipment as necessary
• Use your strong know-how of recent advances in polymer materials, reactive systems, colloidal suspensions, and interfaces and understanding of structure-property relationships of polymers, additives, and fillers to explore new/advanced technologies in additive manufacturing, orient R &D direction, establish goals, prepare and execute project plans
• Utilize your experience in materials development, ideally related to additive manufacturing, to initiate, review and evaluate new project ideas.
• Regularly exchange R&D knowledge & new ideas with other 3D printing researchers in the North American scientific community (especially California and Boston areas), collaborate with our global research colleagues (especially Germany, Switzerland, China) and external cooperation partners, university and start-up.
• Develop and document test methods and procedures for additive manufacturing material and processes
• Create product regulatory documents and procedures.
• Prepare your own patents and evaluate third-party patents.
• Be responsible for the further development, evolution and advancement of 3D printing technological expertise
through literature research and cooperative initiatives with universities.
• Possess the ability to work proactively on problem solving and independently without supervision/direction.
• Implement and lead safety concepts and ensure accurate lab workflows.
Lead independently scientific activity and direct report(s)
The candidate will be the consultant for these technologies.
• Use your personal networking ability and excellent interpersonal skills, good communication and presentation skills, to work as part of a team.
• Be willing and able to travel domestically and globally and work as part of a global research team approximately 25%.
• Effectively work with colleagues, university community, external partners and customers throughout various operating divisions and competence centers.
Ingredients for success...
• PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science / Engineering or Chemical Engineering and minimum 4 years experience in formulation of ink and paste, soft matter science and/or additive manufacturing technology
• Strong know-how of polymer materials, formulations, elastomeric material and fundamental understanding of structure-property relationship of composites.
• Competency in analysis and problem solving, materials development and testing strategies.
• Advanced interpersonal, project management and team skills and ability to work in interdisciplinary and intercultural (global) teams
• Excellent organizational and communication skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• High self-motivation and enjoys working in a team-oriented environment, flexible and capable to adopt priority changes on a daily basis
• Highest standards of integrity, accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at one time
• Experience with customers, ideally shoe and Automobile OEMs.
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development
assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF , you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success.
Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: RBP Plant Science Research 63004326
Title: Senior Team Leader - 3D Printing
Requisition ID: 1802714